Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Auction Downer

Good Morning, barn sale followers!

Thought I'd fill you in on a little auction secret you may or may not know.  You don't always come out smiling.  It's not always a great experience.  And, if you ever want to make it in this crazy business, you just have to keep your chin up and hope for the best next time.

I talked Doug into hooking up the trailer this past weekend and heading to the mud sale with me in Manheim, Pa.  We haven't had the trailer long, and aside from a trip to the barn, it's only been used for storage of items that have been cleaned or painted or packed in crates ready to go to the barn.  I was excited to go to a sale 3 1/2 hours away and not have to pass up a good bargain because I wasn't sure if it would fit in my truck.  And surely you remember the trip to Gettysburg that Sharon and I took where we had to make THREE trips to collect all of the items we bought...if you don't, check it out here

Well, we got on the road at 4:30am Saturday, not wanting to miss a minute of the sale.  We had even set up the coffee pot the night before, and I made breakfast sandwiches before we left that morning so we wouldn't have to stop.  We drove the 3 1/2 hours (well, actually Doug drove and I was able to sleep for a little while!) and got to the sale right before it opened.  We were disappointed to find out that you are not able to park ANYWHERE on the grounds of the auction, and had to take a shuttle from a school a few miles away. This is a problem because 1.we had Marley, our dog with us (we swore we wouldn't be those people who took their dog with them when they traveled but it was going to be cold and rainy and he'd have to stay outside alllll  day if we left him home!!!) and I didn't figure they'd want a dog on the shuttle, and  2.I usually buy enough that I like to take some of my purchases to the truck as I buy them. It saves time at the end of the day, and I don't have to worry about a big pile of items at my feet or in some random spot where someone might walk off with something.

So...we finally got there (they did let Marley ride the shuttle, and he was such a good boy!). It was cold, but we were prepared with plenty of layers.   I walked around the grounds, and spotted a few things I wanted Doug to try to to buy, as they have several auctioneers selling at the same time.  I finally settled in the antiques tent, ready to go.  The first few items sold fairly reasonably, but I think that was because they started selling in that tent a few minutes before the designated 9am start time.  They usually stagger start times at these sales, so if you want something on one of the wagons or in one of the other tents, there's a chance (ever so slight!) that you can actually buy things from both (or several) places.  Anyway...I wasn't interested in the first few lots, and by the time they got to things that I did want, prices were getting high.  Remember, we like to buy cheap, so we can sell to you, our dedicated customers, at least reasonably!

I did finally get a couple of things, (6 to be exact), but was really disappointed.  The weather certainly was a factor.  It started snowing like crazy, and while at some sales this might make people leave, not so at this sale.  They just crowded into the tents. So there were hoards of bored people in the tents, and when you are bored at a sale (been there) you sometimes buy things you'd normally just think are to expensive 'cause you gotta do something (done that)!  What I did get, I was able to carry on the bus...not a good thing...I like a BIG pile!!!

Sipping jug, nice wooden box, enamel pitcher, wash board, and 2 chocolate molds
So, we moved on from the sale before noon.  I just didn't want to waste any more time there if I wasn't going to be able to buy anything.  That tiny pile you see there?  Not exactly enough to make it worthwhile to have dragged the trailer 3 1/2 hours.  It pulls my already not great gas mileage down to around 10mpg!  We drove to Adamstown to visit a couple of our favorite spots, and were at least able to scratch out a few good buys.  I got the cream colored trunk you see in the background, a cute gray and green tall dresser, and a few more smalls. And, best of all, I got to spend the day with my tolerant husband and our sweet boy Marley!

Hope you have a great week!  I'll post barn pics as soon as we have less mess!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun. We should spend a day going to sales while I'm there. I'm sure Doug and my hubby wouldn't mind. They can go fishing! :)